Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 45days ago25 Replies
 68days ago1 Replies
 128days ago13 Replies
 143days ago1 Replies
 146days ago0 Replies

Google Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rangers of the Black Watch Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Weasl of any variety
Ranger

re: The future

Terribly wrong about Wade. He is still here and I my apologies to all especially him. (hangs head)  

re: by the way that was Weasl

I thought i logged in but guess I didn't. This was Weasl and all my alts chiming in. Thanks for the indulgence.

Not sure what I should say at this point. I took 3 of my alts to a different Kinship a while back, but not very happy there. So I left them. Now i feel like I'm alone every day. I think Wade took a lot of his toons out of the kinship in the last day or so. So the only ppl I see are the Swedes - Glennson, Swarls, Gliitra. (and I like their style). Don't know if anyone reads this, but we need to get a leader who can somehow make a difference. I ran a lot of Kins/Guilds over the last 15 years or so. It's not easy and sometimes it's not fun. I have decided to  just stand pat. So I believe I should be given the chance to at least keep the Kin alive. I play every day and see no one else that does that.  Where did Ned go? I think I could be the Kin leader as we try to survive. 

Welcome to comments. Thanks, this was very difficult to write.

Naemirel
Ranger

Aw, thanks, Fio! (This is Ivrel, by the way; I changed my username to an alt's name.) Looking forward to see you come back to the game soon, we miss you! :')

Annyia
Ranger

In the voice of Arnold S....I'll be back!

Eventually. Jynxie is right, the Rangers Kin is special! I'll stay with them as long as they exist!

Naemirel, great hearing your point of view! Never apologize for having one, or for voicing it so respecfully! :)

~Fio

Well I guess I need to put my 2 cents in here too.  I've been quiet lately because I haven't been on very much.  It's just too disheartening to play when nobody else is on.  The Rangers has been my "home away from home" for the last several years.  It has changed much over the years.  As most of my friends have left one by one my heart sort of wilted.  I love the game but I loved my friends the most.  It was a family.  I guess things always have to change unfortunately.  I will not leave the Rangers but I guess that is because of the past more than the present.  I really hope the kin can be revitalized because it is just too special to disband.  I suppose if that happens I'll just quit the game like everybody else has done.  When your real life isn't very happy any longer the Rangers always welcomed me with open arms.  That was their strength.  I hope it can become strong again.

Sorry, I just reread what I wrote and it seems a little depressive.  But at least it's honest.  Please turn this kin back into a family again.  Just my thoughts.

re: Very late, but hello!

Hi Rangers, 

I'd just like to start by apologising for not being as responsive as I should, both here and in-game. Recently found out that chat servers don't work when I'm on campus Wi-Fi, so I don't receive messages from the kin or world chats. I'm not sure how much "right" I have to comment, seeing as I'm one of the newer players and I haven't been with LOTRO or the Rangers for even half as long as the rest of you have, but I did want to at least respond to this thread, so here goes. 

I think that the uncertainty right now is mainly stemming from the fact that people have different interpretations of what a kin means to them. For me, a kin is a place where I can chat with fellow players and help others out with crafting, etc. if needed. But for others, it may mean a place where you have to contribute actively and run group stuff and show up for events. 

So I think the first step to getting around this is, as Weasl has said, to decide what kind of kin the Rangers want to be. Will we be okay with having a balance of both, or will we prefer the interaction between people who often run group stuff together? There's nothing wrong with either, it's just a difference in direction.

It's been a lot busier IRL than I'd expected it to be when I first started my undergrad degree, so my game time has been cut down quite a bit as is. LOTRO is kind of like my escape just to be in Middle-Earth for a while, and I've always been a casual solo player, so it's never been my priority to do group content. I think all that stacked together + timezones + the fact that neither of my toons are at level cap is the reason why I don't take as much part in kin activities. I'm sorry - I mean this genuinely, so please don't think it's sarcasm! - if being so solo-centric was not the right fit for the kin. 

That said, that's just me. I know plenty of people love being in kins because they'll have people to roll group content with, so it would be a shame to stop running them entirely.

I'd love for the kin to stay on as it is and try fresh recruitment, maybe. It's my second kin (leagues better than the first one, honestly) and I intend to stay for as long as it does. Again, I'm not sure how much "right" I have to say this, considering my casual playing hours and style don't contribute much to the kin, and I unfortunately cannot commit to trying to step up and help. 

This turned out to be a lot longer than I intended it to. I just felt the need to post this (even though I'm a bit late) because I really don't want you to think that I don't care at all. Once again, I apologise for not being able to contribute as much as many of you have, and I will ultimately support whatever comes to be the general consensus of the kin.

- Iv

Last edited by Naemirel on Apr. 19th, 2017 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Weasl of any variety
Ranger

re: Hello again

Would love to see Fio back in the Fold. I see Galth, Wade, Jack, Talle, and Iggy at times. I have 7 toons in this kinship and I play with another kinship on 3 toons - but they (Grumpy Old People)are as dysfunctional as any. Been spending all my time lately revving up a cook.  Dang -what a pain. Anyhow....since I have this forum: Let's do something.  

Running an intense kinship where everything is based on raiding and getting the most new primo gear really hurt us I think. We didn't have the numbers and I think many ppl shied ways from doing TEBs because they did not know the other ppl. In the "good old days" we did kin things. I think of when I joined the kin back in about Dec 2013. Aes (Laz) was the leader and that's when I got hooked on Rangers.

I can't offer any solution that doesn't involve someone taking control. Unfortunately we don't have numbers. And I gave up running Guilds/Kinships long ago. 

I'm feeling really idiotic right now. Would love to invite players to the kin - but what can I offer? None of my Weasl toons will leave this Kin until we iron this out. I play every day.  So stay tuned and maybe we can get something going. 

Please comment if you have the time.

Hello all,

I sure do miss you all!! Again, I am truly sorry I haven't been online in a long time. You know, one of those awful 4 letter words...L I F E.  I do still plan to return. Don't know what the state of the Rangers will be, but I don't plan to leave. Of course, as others have said, do what is best for YOU. I just hope we can stay in contact. I sure wish the friend's list could be larger! Unfortunately I've hit the cap on mine, so I tended to not put Rangers on the list since I could see them on the kin list. Hopefully I don't lose anyone in the shuffle, because you are ALL important to me!!

Take care everyone. Love you all!

~Fio

Hrotak
Steward

Hey Wade (& gang)

I don't think you're stepping on anybody's toes. It's not the first time the question's come up and I think it's a fair one for each of us to think about: what would you like to see happen?

I know many of us (myself included) are not on as often as is needed for a thriving community. And that takes away from the fun people have, which is part of why some people are on less, or why some people have chosen to leave.

I care about the Rangers as a Kin, but I care more about the people who have made up that Kin over the years. I want the kin to be able to continue, and I hope that is the case, but I am mostly interested in still being able to connect with the people who make up, and have made up, the Rangers while I've been here. Whether that is in the Rangers, new homes people might choose to find, or through other channels, I think you're a great bunch and I really value having you in my social time.

Hoping more folks are able to chime in as always.

Ned

Ranger

re: What I'm doing for now

I have great love for the Rangers. We all do. I can understand what Wade is saying. I'm one of the ppl that are on. Just logged in at 1PM game time and I'm alone. 

I will be taking one toon to a different kinship:  Brytten. I will be joining a small kinship with old ppl like me. Those are my only plans for now.  

Didn't want to have Brytten leave without explanation..    I would suggest that all of you decide which kind of kinship you want to be with and act accordingly. whether that be a consolidation into another kinship, going independently to another, or keeping this one intact.  

re: The Future of the Kin

Over the past week or so now whenever I log in, there has only been two or three others online as well. Also during that time I have seen a few people leave the kin. I am just wondering if it is time to consider a kin merge where we would join another kinship so that we could all still be together, but have more people to chat and group with? We could try recruiting many new players but there's a good chance most of them will be very low level and it will probably change the dynamic in the kinship so it may not be like it use to be. :(

I am curious what everyone's opinion on the matter is? 

Also I apologise if i'm stepping on anyone's toes with this post.

Wade

Ruudwulf Shattershield

re: Stepping down

Hail, Rangers!

The title says it all: I'm stepping down, effective tonight. I have given too much of my time, effort, patience for so little results/rewards to sustain this any longer. I have given it my best shot, though I wasn't admittedly the best at all times.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this kinship is dying, and even though some long-term Officers and veteran players vowed to help me put it back on tracks, there were little to no efforts on their part. I'll give you a few examples: Jade, who has only one character in the kin but a strong attachment to it attended almost ALL the events scheduled. He didn't have to, yet he did. Olmir, freshly arrived, did more in the little time he served as regular Ranger, not even Officer, than many, many others. Karl did his very best and Sil was here to counsel and help run stuff and was diligent in her role. I thank them all for their help and patience, their suggestions and their time.

This kinship is composed of a lot of individual people who do their own stuff, and don't group. Which is fine, up to a point. We've run social events, lvl 65 raids and instance, T1 and T2 raids and instances, games. Somehow many didn't participate in those. RL takes precedence, sure, but don't say this kin is like family if you play outside of it and then complain it's dying. Everything happens for a reason.

Last, but not least, I am leaving the kinship, as I need to take a break. This is my first and only kin, so it's a pretty big step for me, but it's a necessary one as the Rangers have gradually stopped running the group content I enjoy doing, and can't do anymore because I am tied here. I hope you understand where this comes from.

I wish you all a very fond farewell, and thank one last time all those who have taught me what I know and helped me get better over all these years.

Take care, Ruudwulf / Alcarnarmo

Hrotak
Steward

Thanks to everyone who's posted and shared their thoughts. It was great running skraids with several of you yesterday - for those who couldn't make it, we picked up 8 crystals in 3 runs, so there were "nice and shinies" for a few different reasons. Looking forward to getting on for some more things this week and maybe learning what these damned "flowers" are next week. >_>

Ruudy - I agree about discord. We won't be able to get everyone into it when we do runs - there will always be the people with no Ears and people who's computers can barely handle the game as it is - but we can type for them as we have in the past. Discord works great for those who are wary of it - I started using the voice options yesterday, and the change between that and in-game audio was staggering. Ruudy's about 30 years younger on Discord for all the static that in-game puts in the way.

Thanks Nels for the recruitment piece. I'll see if I can sit by a mailbox in a low zone and keep my eye on the regional channels. Curious to see which ones new players watch once 19.3 takes out some of the redundant ones.

Hey guys,

Quick update 1: Thanks for responding, sharing your concerns, opinion. Been a bit busy, but will take the time to reply, either here or in-game.

Quick update 2: Discord is great, but we need to use only one medium and forgo the in-game chat whenever we can in order to avoid confusion. It is possible to generate a temporary invitation, which will last until the invited person logs off, by using the "Invite People" button on the top left-hand corner of the app. It does make things easier, especially since people can run Discord from their browser (faster, no need to install anything).

Quick update 3: Nels has taken the initiative to send a regional recruitment message, going in every region and sending the same message. I agreed with him that World isn't the best place to recruit. My stance differs only in that I think we need to consolidate the existing player base first, but it's always good to have new blood. On that note: the Rangers' philosophy of "Paying forward" applies, but don't go too far. Help by guiding, showing and explaining, rather than by giving automatically (been guilty recently of doing that on one occasion, not the right way).

Quick update 4: Jynx is taking care of sending the freebie coupon code mail (every Friday I believe), but it's also good to remind Rangers/Tebbers every once in a while.

Quick update 5: Attendance is picking up some. Let's see if this movement amplifies and, more importantly, lasts.

Quick update 6: Yes, Real Life impacts me more than I'd like, and will even more so in the coming 2-3 weeks. I won't be in for some of the events scheduled due to an early rise the next morning, for medical reasons. So if an Officer or somebody brave enough could lead these events, or just run whatever they feel like doing if the mechanics are forgotten/too difficult. The important thing is to allow people to have fun together, break the routine, improve the quotidian/grind.

That's all for now :)

Peace and light to you all.

Ruudy

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rangers of the Black Watch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Membership